We think your location is: UNITED STATES. If this isn't right, please tell us where you are.
Glossary of terms
Useful links
Print this page
Your feedback
About us
Featured institution

Featured institution of the month

Study courses

Choosing a course 

Pre-degree qualifications
GCSEs and equivalents
A-levels and equivalents    
Post A-level programmes
First and postgrad degrees
Undergraduate degrees
Postgraduate degrees
MBA degrees
Other types of courses
English language   
Career-based courses
Exchange programmes

UK life

A-levels and equivalents: practical details   

Entry requirements

You will need four or five GCSEs (grades A*–C) to take up to five AS-levels in Year 12. You must pass an AS-level before you can carry the subject forward to A2 level.

For Scottish Higher and Advanced Highers, you will need to have passed subjects at Standard Grade Credit level or successfully completed a course at Intermediate 2 level.

For the International Baccalaureate, you will need four or five GCSEs at grades A*–C (or the Scottish Standard grade equivalent), or to have successfully completed the IB Middle Years Programme.

Costs and funding

British students and those from a country in the European Ecomomic Area (EEA) are likely to pay little for A-levels and equivalents, as the British government funds their study, but international students at a college can expect to pay between £3,000 and £7,000 per year.

This cost includes:

  • tuition fees
  • college registration
  • awarding body registration
  • materials
  • exam/assessment fees.

At independent schools, the cost will rise to £1,500–£4,000 per term (day pupils) and £3,000–£7,000 per term for boarders.

Bear in mind that students at boarding schools will save on living costs such as accommodation, food and laundry costs.

How to apply

Most courses at this level have no set closing dates for applications, and institutions recruit until courses are full. You should, however, apply early if you want to attend a particular institution.

If you live outside the EEA, you will need a visa to come to the UK to study, so allow yourself enough time to make an application. To find out if you need a visa, read the visas section of this site or consult the UK Border Agency website.

Private colleges usually provide accommodation. Although many state colleges do not provide accommodation, they will usually help you find somewhere to live. The earlier you apply, the more likely you are to find accommodation near your institution.

Application forms for A-levels and equivalents are usually relatively simple. You may need to make a brief personal statement and provide references, and you may need an English language qualification to meet entry requirements. See English language courses for more details.

Application timetable

The application process covers a number of steps – for boarding schools this covers a period of two or more years – although the time-scale can vary greatly. In simple terms, it is never too early to start.

In many countries, the academic year runs from January to December, rather than September to July as in the UK. If this is the case in your country, bear in mind you are likely to be one term behind pupils in the UK of the same age.

North America regional section

Site map  |  Privacy policy  |  Advertiser zone  
Copyright Total Publishing Ltd 2009